Exiting brands force Google to alter ad policies
Google plans to give clients more control over where their ads appear on YouTube and the Google Display Network
London — Google, the primary revenue driver for Alphabet, announced changes to its advertising policies after major brands pulled ads from the platform because they appeared alongside offensive content, such as videos promoting terrorism or anti-Semitism.
Google said in a blog post on Friday that it would give clients more control over where their ads appear on both YouTube, the video-sharing service it owns, and the Google Display Network, which posts advertising to third-party websites.
The announcement came after the UK government and the Guardian newspaper pulled ads from the video site, stepping up pressure on YouTube to police content on its platform.
France’s Havas, the world’s sixth-largest advertising and marketing company, pulled its UK clients’ ads from Google and YouTube on Friday after failing to get assurances from Google that the ads would not appear next to offensive material. Those clients include wireless carrier O2, Royal Mail, government-owned British Broadcasting Corporation, Domino’s Pizza and Hyundai Kia, Havas said.
"Our position will remain until we are confident in the YouTube platform and Google Display Network’s ability to deliver the standards we and our clients expect," said Paul Frampton, CEO and country manager for Havas Media Group UK. Later, the parent company Havas said it would not take any action outside the UK and called its UK unit’s decision "a temporary move".
"The Havas Group will not be undertaking such measures on a global basis," a Havas spokeswoman said.
"We are working with Google to resolve the issues so that we can return to using this valuable platform in the UK."
The decision to pull ads from Google followed a Times of London investigation that revealed ads from many large companies and the UK government appeared alongside content from the likes of white nationalist David Duke and pastor Steven Anderson, who praised the killing of 49 people in a gay nightclub.
Google made $7.8bn in advertising revenue in the UK in 2016, accounting for 8.6% of the company’s total sales.
The boycott signals a growing backlash against so-called programmatic trading, which automates the buying and selling of advertising online, and social media providers that are seen to not be doing enough to tackle hate disseminated on their platforms.
Media-buying firms are also increasingly resentful of the power wielded by Google and Facebook, claiming the two companies operate a global duopoly over online advertising. The controversy about ads appearing in inappropriate contexts may give these media buyers leverage in negotiations with the social media giants.
Media-buying firms are also increasingly resentful of the power wielded by Google and Facebook, claiming the two companies operate a global duopoly over online advertising
Martin Sorrell, the founder and CEO of WPP, the global advertising firm, said in a statement that Google and Facebook have "the same responsibilities as any media company" and could not "masquerade" as mere technology platforms.
Ronan Harris, Google’s MD in the UK, said in the blog post that Google removed nearly 2-billion offensive ads from its platforms last year and also blacklisted 100,000 publishers from the company’s AdSense program. Despite this, Harris wrote: "We don’t always get it right."
The company will now review its policies and said it would be making changes "in the coming weeks" to help customers stop their ads appearing on objectionable websites or against offensive videos, Harris said.
Ads appeared "next to extremist and hate-filled videos", prompting Guardian News & Media to stop all advertising through YouTube parent Google, the British publisher said on Friday.
The UK government said it suspended advertising on YouTube until the site could ensure they are not placed next to content of which it does not approve.